Hussam H. AlHawari, MD, FACE, ECNU
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine
Faculty of Medicine
The University of Jordan
Social: Married, 3 Children.
08/1995 – 06/2001 – Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jordan
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery Diploma
07/2001 – 07/2002 – Internship Year at the Ministry of Health – Jordan.
07/2004 – 06/2007 – Internal Medicine Internship & Residency, University of Arkansas
for Medical Sciences (UAMS) 07/2007 – 06/2009 – Endocrinology Fellow, Division of Endocrinology, University of
Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)
08/2009 - 03/2014 – Clinical Endocrinologist at the Adult Medicine & Endocrinology (AME), Cox Health System, Springfield, MO.
10/2010 - 7/2014 – Part-time lecturer at the Missouri State University (MSU).
8/2014- Present – Assistant Professor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Jordan.
Certifications: 06/2001 – Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery Diploma.
06/2003 – Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate Certificate.
06/2005 – Intern in Internal Medicine, UAMS.
06/2007 – Resident in Internal Medicine, UAMS.
08/2007 – Board Certification in Internal Medicine.
10/2009 – Board Certification in Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism.
10/2010 – Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU).
05/2014 – Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology (FACE).
Examinations: 11/2001 USMLE Step 2, Passed with a score of: 91. 06/2002 USMLE Step 1, Passed with a score of: 99. 05/2003 ECFMG - CSA, Passed. 09/2003 USMLE Step 3, passed with a score of: 81.
08/2007 ABIM, standardized score of: 666.
10/2009 ABIM Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism, scored within the top 15% percentile.
- Jordan, 2001
- Missouri, 2009
- Diabetes, insulin pumps and sensors.
- Thyroid dysfunction, nodules and thyroid cancer.
- Parathyroid disorders.
- Adrenal Disorders.
- Pituitary Disorders.
1. Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) – study staff – assisted with study management.
2. Atherothrombosis Intervention in Metabolic Syndrome with low HDL/High Triglyceride and Impact on Global Health Outcomes (AIM HIGH) – study staff – assisted with study recruitment and study management.
3. Multi-central Clinical Trials. A Phase I Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial to Study the Safety, Efficacy, and Mechanism of Action of Sitagliptin and Pioglitazone in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Who Have Inadequate Glycemic Control on Diet and Exercise. Role: Study Staff.
1. Thyrotoxic Periodic Paralysis. Authors: Hussam H. Alhawari, MD, Debra Simmons, MD, Fred Faas, MD, and Antoine Makdissi, MD. Abstracts for the AACE 17th annual meeting and clinical congress, May14-18, 2008. Abstract # 1004
2. Monostotic Paget’s Disease of the Humerus: Indications for treatment? Authors: HH Alhawari, DL Simmons, N Rasouli, HH Alhawari, DR Burrows, M Agarwal, P Madhavaram, RS Weinstein. Abstracts for the Endocrine Society annual meeting 2009.
3. Hypocalcemic Myopathy Masquerading Polymyositis in Rhabdomyolysis.
Authors: M Agarwal, P Madhavaram, H Alhawari, DL Simmons.
Abstracts for the Endocrine Society annual meeting in 2009.
- The Thomas E. Andreoli Award for the outstanding house staff in Internal
- The Award of Excellence for the outstanding achievement during my fellowship training at UAMS.
- Selected as a Chief Endocrinology fellow 2008-2009.
- Selected by Dr. Thomas E. Andreoli to be part of the review committee of Cecil
Essentials of Medicine (the 8th edition)
- Ranked fourth among the fifty five students in the Medical school class of 2001 with
An average of 80.7%, which is rated as (very good)
Memberships in Honorary/Professional Societies:
- Jordan Medical Association (JMA) - American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE)
- The Endocrine Society (TES)
- American Thyroid Association (ATA)
Hobbies and Interests: Swimming, playing tennis and reading.