Pro. MUSA Z. NAZER
Present Post : Professor of Chemistry, University of Jordan.
Date of Birth : October 15, 1936
Place of Birth : Hebron
Nationality : Jordanian
Marital Status : Married, six children:
Fadwa (born : 1968), Amal (1971), Zuhdi (1972),
Osama (1976), Sami (1978), Anis (1980)
Current Research Areas
Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Quinones, Quinoxalines, Indazoles, Heterocyclic Compounds, and Chemical Education.
1954-1958 : B.Sc., Chemistry, with distinction, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon.
1957-1958 : Normal Diploma of Education, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon.
1958-1960 : M.Sc., Chemistry, American University of Beirut. Research Supervisor: Prof. Costas H. Issidorides. Thesis: "Preparation of Some Unsaturated Bile Acids”.
1960-1961 : Research Assistanship with Prof. Louis F. Fieser, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A.
1961-1964 : Ph.D., Chemistry, Harvard University. Research Supervisor: Prof. Louis F. Fieser. Thesis: "Unsaturated Dihalocyclosteroids: Preparation, Dehalogenation, and Spectral Properties."
1964-1965 : Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, Harvard University.
Scholarships, Fellowships & Assistantships
1954-1958 : Undergraduate Scholarship Sponsored by the United States Aid to the Government of Jordan.
1957-1960 : Teaching Assistantships: General Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry, American University of Beirut.
1960-1961 : Research Assistantship, Harvard University.
1961-1964 : Teaching Fellowships in Organic Chemistry, Harvard University.
1962-1962 : Esso Foundation Scholarship Administered by Harvard University.
1963-1964 : Harvard University Scholarship.
Post Ph.D. Employment
1964-1965 : Post-doctoral research fellow, Harvard University.
1965-1973 : Chairman, Department of Chemistry, University of Jordan.
1980-1982 : Chairman, Department of Chemistry, University of Jordan.
1965-1967 : Assistant Professor, University of Jordan.
1967-1971 : Associate Professor, University of Jordan.
1973-1975 : Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut.
1979-1980 : Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut.
1996-1998 : Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut
2001-2002` : Visiting Professor, American University of Beirut
1971-date : Professor, University of Jordan.
Activities in Graduate Studies
Besides teaching graduate courses at the University of Jordan and at the American University of Beirut since 1972, the following functions have been performed.
A- Supervision of M.Sc. research projects in Organic Chemistry for sixteen students.
B- Examiner of sixty five M.Sc. theses in Chemistry and Chemical Education.
C- Examiner of seven Ph.D. theses as follows :
- three in chemistry at the American University of Beirut.
- one in chemical Education at Algier's University (external Examiner)
- three in Methods of Science Teaching (Chemistry) at the University of Jordan.
Of several evaluation studies I have conducted on academic programs and institutions, the following are examples:
- Evaluation of science, Engineering, and Medical programs at Iraqi Universities (1988).
- Study of the status of University of Applied Science, Ministry of Higher Education.
- Evaluation of Community Colleges' Programs in Jordan, Ministry of Higher Education (1991).
- Evaluation of experimental aspects of general science textbooks, workshop sponsored by GTZ (1993).
- Evaluation of Laboratory Equipment Center at the Ministry of Education, a report to the World Bank (1994).
- Evaluation of Higher Education at Jordanian Universities, a report to the World Bank (1995).
- Evaluation of candidates for Third World Academy Of Science prizes in chemistry.
- Evaluation of Jordanian Universities for Accreditation.
- Evaluation of research projects submitted to Scientific Research Support Fund.