Albert J. Butros
Department of English
University of Jordan
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Full Name : Albert J. Butros
Place of Birth : Jerusalem (Palestine)
Date of Birth : March 25, 1934
Marital Status : Married, four daughters
Nationality : Jordanian
2. PRE-UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
· Terra Sancta College, Jerusalem (Palestine) : 1939-1948
· Terra Sancta College, Amman (Jordan) : 1948-1950
· Jordan Matriculation : 1950
· London Matriculation (First Division) : 1950
· London Intermediate Certificate : 1954
3. UNIVERSITY EDUCATION
· B.A. Honours (English), University of London : 1958
- B.A. (ad eundem), University of Exeter : 1958
- Ph. D. (English), Columbia University (N.Y.) : 1963
· Fields of Interest: History of the English Language, Chaucer, Linguistics, Translation.
· Elementary and Secondary School Teacher in Two Amman Private Schools (English and Mathematics): 1950-1955.
· Instructor, Teachers’ College, Amman (English): 1958-1960.
· Lecturer, Hunter College, City University of New York (English): 1961.
· Instructor, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio (English): 1962-1963.
· Assistant Professor, University of Jordan (English): 1963-1965.
· Associate Professor, University of Jordan (English): 1965-1967.
· Acting Chairman, Department of English, University of Jordan: 1964-1967.
· Professor, University of Jordan (English): 1967-1979.
· Chairman, Department of English, University of Jordan: 1967-1973; 1974-1976.
· Visiting Professor, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio (English):1971-1972.
· Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, University of Jordan: 1973-1976.
· Director General/President, Royal Scientific Society, Amman, Jordan: 1976-1984.
· Special Advisor to HRH Crown Prince El-Hassan of Jordan: 1984-1985.
· Professor, University of Jordan (English): 1985-2004.
· Ambassador to the United Kingdom: 1987-1991.
· Ambassador to Ireland (non-resident): 1988-1991.
· Ambassador to Iceland (non-resident): 1990-1991.
· Visiting Professor, Jordan University for Women (English): 1995-1996.
b. Part-time teaching (English):
· Royal Police College, Amman, Jordan: 1958-1960.
· Jordan Institute of Social Work, Amman, Jordan: 1966-1971.
· Professor Emeritus, University of Jordan: 2004---.
c. Summer teaching:
· Summer Course in English, International School, Exeter, England: Summer 1957.
· Summer Course for Teachers of English, Ministry of Education, Amman, Summer 1963.
· Summer Course for Ministry of Education Scholarship Students (English): Amman, Jordan: Summer 1964.
· Director, Intensive English Language Summer Course, University of Jordan: Summers 1966 and 1968.
· Summer Course for UNRWA Teachers of English, Amman, Jordan: Summers 1967, 1968 and 1970.
5. COUNTRIES VISITED
· Arab World, Middle East: Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Tunisia, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Morocco, Algeria,
United Arab Emirates, Turkey.
· Europe: Britain, France, Italy, Germany (Federal Republic and Democratic Republic), Holland, Belgium, Switzerland,
Austria, Yugoslavia, Greece, Sweden, the Soviet Union (various republics), Ireland, Iceland.
· The Americas: The United States, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela.
· Far East and Asia: Australia, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, Malaysia, India.
· Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe.