DR. FATHI SHAQOUR
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
1998 Post Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management,
RMIT, School of Engineering, Australia
1990 Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering Geology/Hydrogeology)
University of Leeds, UK
Thesis Title: Effects of groundwater level fluctuations on the engineering properties of desert soils.
1980 M.Sc. (Hydrogeology)
The University of Jordan, Amman
Thesis Title: Hydrogeology of the Area East of the Dead Sea.
Courses: Engineering Geology; Field Geology, Hydrogeology; Structural Geology; Geophysics; Clay Mineralogy; Environmental Geology.
1977 B.Sc. (Geology and Mineralogy)
The University of Jordan, Amman
Graduation Project: Hydrogeological mapping of the Area North of Amman City, Jordan.
· Scholarship for a period of 4 years of PhD study at Leeds University, UK. British Council, UK.
Word Processing: Microsoft Word
Professional: Global mapper (GIS), Modflow (limited applications)
Jan’09– to-date Honorary Research Fellow/ Casual lecturer
` Latrobe University, Environmental geosciences: Lecturing, tutoring and research. Academic visitor/ Casual Academic Staff: Monash University, Civil Eng. Dept.: Research, tutoring and occasional lecturing
June’08– Jan’09 Associate Professor
Sept.’02– June’08 Assistant Professor
Dept. of Applied Geology and Environment, University of Jordan: lecturing and research.
(Sep.’03- June’ 05) Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies for development: Administration and research
Jan.’2000– Aug.’02 Assistant professor/project co-ordinator
Master Program of Water Engineering, Civil Eng. Dept., Birzeit University in collaboration with Delft University/ UNISCO, The Netherlands.
Sept.’97– Sept.’98 Research Fellow
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept., Melbourne University
VIEPS: Running Engineering Geology course.
Sept.’94– Sept.’96 Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Gulf Consult-Watson Hauksly (Montgomery Watsons), sewerage
renovation project, (60 million USD), Kuwait.
March’93 – Sept.’94 Engineering Geologist
Mouchel And Partners Consulting Engineers, Kuwait
Highway Project: Earth works, ground anchors and dewatering systems.
Jan’90 – Feb.’93 Assistant professor
Yarmouk University, Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Jordan
Oct.’80 – Sept.’86 Teaching Assistant
March’77– Sept.’80 Engineering Geologist / Hydrogeologist
Jordan Valley Authority / Dames and Moore/ Harza Engineering
Co, Geosonda Consulting Co., Dam projects: Earth works, compaction control, grouting, dewatering and pump testing.
· Geotechnical and mineralogical characterization of natural soils (bentonite, marl, zeolites, volcanic tuffs and blended soils) for the purpose of environmental applications as landfill liners, geopolymers, and groundwater issues.
· Three papers are currently under preparation.
Publications (please see list of publications for details):
· Research grant, 2007 (Au$ 45 K), Deanship of Scientific Research, University of Jordan for geotechnical characterization of zeolite deposits and blended bentonite-zeolite materials
· Research grant, 2005 (Au$ 25 K), Deanship of Scientific Research, University of Jordan for geotechnical characterization of marl deposits
· European Union (EU) grant (EU 230 k): in collaboration between University of Jordan and University of Brussels, Belgium awarded in 2005 for the use of geopolymers from local Jordanian materials in water harvesting and low cost construction materials (project team member)
· Research Centre grant, 1988 (USD 70 K), for the study of rising groundwater under the City of Kuwait.
(Always high scores of student evaluation during my academic career and achieved the highest score in year 2008, amongst 121 staff members of the Faculty of Science, University of Jordan)
RESEARCH STUDENT SUPERVISION
· Bulletin of Engineering Geology, International Association of Engineering Geologists, 2007
· Reviewer of technical papers for the Bulletin of Engineering Geology, International Association of Engineering Geologists.
· Chartered Engineer (IMM, British Engineering Council)
· Member International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH)
· Member Association of Geologists, Jordan
· In the process of joining Australian Geomechanical Society
2006-2009 Training sessions for undergraduate and graduate students
2002 Training Water Engineers on water well technology, USAID, Amman-Jordan, project coordinator and trainer.
2001 Short course on groundwater exploration and modelling Birzeit University
2000 Trainer to Blue plan, EU, workshop on collecting, managing and enhancing water statistics, Cannes, France, June 28th July 4th.
· Travelling, sightseeing and swimming
KEY CONSULTING PROJECTS
Rock Solid Australia Pty Ltd:Site investigation, compaction control, evaluation of house damages due to soil expansion and drilling programs for geophysical data verification.
Gulf Consult-Watson Hauksly (Montgomery Watsons):
Design and supervision of dewatering systems, deep excavations and backfilling.
Supervision of quality control tests on soil and concrete.
Prepare specification documents, and supervise micro tunnelling works (trenchless pipe laying).
Mouchel/Atkins And Partners Consulting Engineers / First Ring Road Highway Project
Supervision of earth works
Supervision of ground anchors works including fabrication, drilling and installation
Design and supervision of dewatering systems.
Jordan Valley Authority / Dames and Moore/ Harza Engineering Co, Geosonda Consulting Co
Geologic mapping for dam sites, Supervision of drilling water wells, aquifer testing, groundwater
Site investigation for dam construction including drilling, borehole logging and permeability testing.
Supervision of drilling and grouting related to foundation treatment of dams.Preparation of engineering geological maps, Design of water wells, Design and supervision of aquifer testing.
1999/2000 Several reports on water statistics, environmental statistics, agricultural statistics
1998 Hydrogeological and Environmental assessment for water reservoirs of Daylesford area / North of Melbourne City, Australia. Centre for Environmental and Applied Hydrology, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Melbourne University, Australia
1995 Pumping Tests for Sulaibikhat Sewerage Project- Kuwait. Prepared to Bruckner
1995 Soil and Water Conditions of Al-Rawdah and Edeiliyya Districts of Kuwait. Prepared to Bruckner Grundbau, Germany
1987, 1988 Annual and Final Reports on the Effects of Groundwater level Changes on the Engineering properties of Desert Soils. Publications of the Faculty of Graduate studies - Kuwait University
1992 Laboratory Manual of Hydrogeology, Dept. of Earth and Environmental Sciences / Yarmouk University, Jordan